Monday, March 14, 2011

Highlights from the Peabody

We made a trip up to Cambridge to get a close look at some of the pieces collected by The Peabody Museum at Harvard University. The focus was on the use of agricultural materials in textiles and basketry.

This felted cloth was my favorite. It is made by mashing plant fibers together until they all interlock, just like felting wool.
This weaving is incredible...so tight and regular.
In terms of weaving or basketry, out materials are far too irregular in shape and size. Unless of course, we could find some way to change that. I'm going to look into the rice straw and see if I can break it down into it's individual long fibers...that might open up the possibility of being able to spin them.

The felting is of course another path to investigate. I've been doing some boiling and mashing, which I'll report on soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment